Saturday, July 14, 2007

Beate's Weekend Sketch Challenge #10

I decided to try yet another one of Beate's sketch challenges! This one was lots of fun. I used colours that I don't normally use. Usually, I'm into the Soft Subtles and Rich Regals, but I decided to go bright and bold after making a child's birthday card today (see below). Beate's challenge is here.

For this card, I used the Wild About You set that I just borrowed from my mother-in-law. (She's also a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, so it's nice that I can borrow whatever sets I don't have from her!) I used Real Red as the card base (unfortunately the photo turned out a little dark - I hope you can still see it alright). I used Whisper White, Not Quite Navy and Old Olive as the accent colours. For the grass, I just used a blender pen and made strokes in Old Olive ink, and I covered the bottom part with red grosgrain ribbon so you can't see how uneven it is!

For the circles, I used several punches and even my Magic Matter, which I haven't used in ages! (Does everyone remember the Magic Matter? It's from the days before the Coluzzle! It's got four little magnetic circles with holes in them, and you put your pencil in the hole and trace around the original circle to create an even matte around it.) The circles and the sentiment are attached with Stampin' Dimensionals. The sentiment is a little higher than the sketch calls for, but if I had put it in the right place, the giraffe's head would be covered up, so I hope it's okay that I took some liberties!

Here's the card I was making originally. It's a simple 3 x 3 card in Whisper White. I used the Quick Cards set from this year's Holiday Mini catalogue. I decided on Real Red and Not Quite Navy since the card was for a little boy's second birthday, and I thought they'd look cute together.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon, I love your wild about you card. To have the giraffe standing in a field of flowers is just too cute! Thanks so much for participating in the challenge. Hugs and smiles

Healthy Family said...

I love this card!! Some great ideas with color's that I myself normally don't know what the heck to do with!! Thanks for the simple and great idea!! I think your next task should be what the do you do with BRIGHT AND BOLD colors!!

Diane said...

Those are awesome Shannon! Love the wild about you card,colours are awesome!

Corie said...

GREAT card. Love the colors!!! Love what you did with the giraffe. So cute.

maggie fellow said...

very cute -thanks for sharing,
maggie

Carrie Gaskin said...

Very nice Wild About You card. I love the richness and boldness of the colours. Great job!