Monday, August 13, 2007

Metallic Birthday

I made this card for Rhiannon's Mo' Metallic challenge. I used the sketch from Beate's challenge so I can use it for both!

It was my sister-in-law, Wendy's and my friend, Jackie's birthday yesterday, so I made this card for Jackie. (I can't post Wendy's card yet because we're celebrating her birthday later, after her parents get back from holidays, so I haven't given it to her yet! I'll post it after we have the party.) Anyway, Happy Birthday Wendy and Jackie!

I used Very Vanilla as the base of the card, then put some River Rock coloured Brocade Background designer paper on that. For the smaller pieces, I used more Brocade Background paper, matted with Old Olive and River Rock.

The metallic parts of the challenge are the gold brads, the greeting from Sincere Salutations (embossed with Gold Glory EP) and the faux metal accent. For the accent, I punched circle with my 1 3/8-inch punch, then put VersaMark over the whole thing. I then poured Gold Glory ep over it and heat set it. I repeated this three times. After the third time, I set the flower stamp from Priceless into the EP while it was still warm, left it there a few seconds, then pulled it out. (You can see a tutorial on faux metal here.) When that was finished, I mounted that piece onto a circle of Old Olive and adhered the whole thing to the card with a dimensional.

I also made this cute little matching gift box to hold her present. I learned how to make this from my friend, Kristine. It's a 12 x 12 sheet of Old Olive cs. I stamped the flourish from Baroque Motifs all over it in the same colour of ink. Then I scored it at 4 inches all the way around and cut out the corner squares. Then I folded up the sides to make the box. I put gold eyelets in all the corners and tied them together with some gold metallic cord that I had left from last year's SU! Catalogue (I'm so upset that they discontinued this cord, but I ordered some of the elastic gold cord from the upcoming Holiday mini catalogue.) For the accent, I stamped the flower from Priceless in VersaMark and embossed it with Gold Glory EP. I punched it out with my 1 1/4-inch circle punch, then matted it on Chocolate Chip and punched that out with my 1 3/8-inch circle punch. I stuck this onto the box with a dimensional. It's the perfect size for the inspirational mug I bought her for her birthday!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

This is GORGEOUS Shannon! I am so impressed...totally going to try that metal accent technique :) Thanks so much for sharing...and for trying my challenge!!

Anonymous said...

Shannon, that looks wonderful! I love the metallic touch on both the box and the card! Hugs and smiles

Clare said...

Lovely card - the metal accent is a great technique and looks fab!

So Sonya said...

Fabulous!!! I love how you did it!!!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Very elegant and professional looking. Lovely job on the sketch.

Tandra said...

These look wonderful! The metal accents are fabulous!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my Blog. You are so going into my daily Reader. :)
Your card turned out wonderful! I love the little metal accent thing that you made. Totally cool!!!!

Living Beyond said...

You are such a clever lady! PS Where did you get the cup from I love it too!

Shannon McGann said...

Hey "Fresh Brewed Faith"! The mug is from Blessings Christian Market Place. I found this one at the West Edmonton Mall store.

Heather P. said...

What a fabulous card!

Corie said...

These are FANTASTIC -- love the faux metal.

Ashley said...

Oh so pretty and elegant! Love the metallic piece!! Wonderful job! Hugs! Ash~
www.ashleyscreativecorner.blogspot.com

Stamp With Linz said...

This is so cute, I'll have to give it a try! :)