Saturday, July 7, 2007

Beate's Sketch Challenge #9

Beate's challenge this week was to create a joy fold card. (Click here for her tutorial.) I wanted to use my Soft Sky designer paper. Usually when I use designer paper, I use cardstock that matches the colours in the paper. And normally when I use this particular paper, I make a card that is Soft Sky and White. I decided to challenge myself and use some complementary colours instead. I chose Regal Rose and Certainly Celery. The card base is Regal Rose. I edged the designer paper with Rose ink to help it blend, but I think I went a little overboard. I'm not entirely happy with the way it looks. I think I'll try to blend it some more.

Anyway, I used my Simply Said stamp set for most of this card. The white cs is stamped with flowers from that set with Soft Sky ink. The heart is stamped in Regal Rose. The main Regal Rose flower is from the Pick a Petal set. For the flower stem, I traced a circle template from my cutter with a Stampin' Write marker (the fine tip). Then I added a little bow to the stem out of Rose grosgrain ribbon. I adhered it on with a mini glue dot. I layered this piece onto Certainly Celery cs.

I made the circle tab that holds the card closed by stamping the pointy flower from Simply Said in Soft Sky and cutting it out. Then I punched flowers from the Soft Sky designer paper with the Spring Bouquet punch. I punched a circle out of Whisper White cs with the 1 3/8" punch, layered the flowers onto the circle and used a silver brad to hold them all together. Then I edged the white circle with Regal Rose ink. I adhered that to the card with Stampin' Dimensionals.

On the inside left side of the card, I used my Scatter Sunshine jumbo Stampin' Around wheel with Pretty in Pink ink (I would have used Regal Rose, but I don't have a cartridge in that colour!). On the inside of the Celery piece, I did two-step stampin' with the pointy flower from Simply Said in Wild Wasabi ink. I stamped the saying in the same colour.

This card was a lot of fun to make! I know I'll be making more joy fold cards!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon, great challenge card. Thanks for participating. Have a great weekend

Heather P. said...

This is SO pretty! Great job with the sketch. :)

Corie said...

Great card. Love the color combo. Love the stamping on the inside too.